LIVE › 7 a.m. Cris Carter - Former Vikings WR/ESPN NFL Analyst
NEXT › 8:40 a.m. Twin Cities Sports Update - with Dave Harrigan and Kenny Olson
8:55 a.m. Twin Cities Sports Update - with Dave Harrigan and Kenny Olson
9 a.m. ESPN SportsCenter
9:05 a.m. Mackey & Judd
9:30 a.m. 1500 ESPN Rewards Listen & Win Code - Grab 100 points for 1500 ESPN Rewards
9:30 a.m. Emily Engberg - Twin Cities Live Reporter
Updated: September 13th, 2012 12:50pm
Adrian Peterson says regaining last 5 percent of strength is 'huge'

Adrian Peterson says regaining last 5 percent of strength is 'huge'

by Tom Pelissero
1500ESPN.com
Email | Twitter
SportsWire Daily

Get the 1500 ESPN SportsWire delivered to your inbox daily, and keep up with all the news in Twin Cities Sports

Signup!

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Adrian Peterson says he feels he's at 95% strength, but that remaining 5% will make a difference for the Minnesota Vikings' star halfback.

"Just being more explosive with my strength," Peterson said on Thursday. "It doesn't sound like much from the outside looking in. But I know my game and I know where I want to be, and it's going to be huge once I get 100 percent -- like night and day, seriously."

Peterson rushed for 84 yards on 17 carries (4.9 average) in Sunday's season-opening win over Jacksonville -- his first game since undergoing left knee reconstruction on Dec. 30.

He said he experienced some tightness and soreness in the knee on Monday morning, but he iced, stretched and was feeling "pretty good" by the time he spoke to reporters before Thursday's practice.

"It was a different experience for me, for my legs and my body," Peterson said. "My body actually held up pretty good. My body felt good, but just for my knee, just to see how it's going to feel after a game and getting hit on it and everything.

"I've been handling it pretty well. Haven't been down. Just trying to do the necessary things that I need to do to help my body rejuvenate."

Offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave said Peterson has "a ways to go" in his recovery was interested to see how he handled Thursday's more physical, padded practice.

"We're looking forward to his second game," Musgrave said, "and we'll continue to gauge it, gauge his progress a little bit like we did during the game on Sunday. ... We'll hope that he continues to heel and becomes more confident on that left knee."

Asked if he has a target in mind for his workload this weekend at Indianapolis, Peterson said, "No, not at all. I'm just going to go out and do what I need to do, just do my job and be ready to execute."

Tom Pelissero is Senior Editor and columnist for 1500ESPN.com. He hosts from 6 to 8 p.m. weeknights and co-hosts from 10 a.m. to noon Sundays on 1500 ESPN Twin Cities.
Email Tom | @TomPelissero | Tom Pelissero
In this story: Adrian Peterson
5553