Live from Florida, Day 36: Hughes hits sixth HR; Nathan allows three
Get the 1500 ESPN SportsWire delivered to your inbox daily, and keep up with all the news in Twin Cities Sports
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- A rundown of the news, notes and quotes from Thursday at Minnesota Twins spring training:
Twins 7, Phillies 3
• Nick Blackburn threw six scoreless innings in Clearwater, allowing six hits and a walk while striking out five.
• Joe Nathan gave up three earned runs on a walk and three hits in his inning of work, raising his spring ERA to 11.05. Meanwhile, Matt Capps pitched a scoreless seventh inning and has yet to allow a run all month.
• Luke Hughes went 1-for-4 with a solo home run -- his team-leading sixth of the spring.
• Delmon Young continued his tear, going 2-for-3 with a double and three RBIs.
• Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau did not make the trip to Clearwater. Morneau -- after playing seven innings and collecting his first official hit of the spring on Wednesday night -- was told by the team to take Thursday off entirely, including no batting practice. This was Morneau's first off day in three weeks.
10: The Twins record for most home runs in a spring, set by Gary Gaetti in 1983.
"D-Span, we gonna run today? Kubel, Mauer, let's go!"
-- Former manager Tom Kelly, strongly encouraging Denard Span, Jason Kubel and Joe Mauer to do some extra sprints after batting practice on Thursday.
The Twins have four spring-training games remaining: home against the Orioles on Friday, at City of Palms to face the Red Sox on Saturday, home against the Yankees on Sunday, and home against the Pirates on Monday.