Practice notes: Opportunistic defense nabs two INTs off Bridgewater
Get the 1500 ESPN SportsWire delivered to your inbox daily, and keep up with all the news in Twin Cities Sports
MANKATO, Minn. -- Teddy Bridgewater made the same mistake twice as another linebacker leapt to grab a redzone interception, this time landing in 6-foot-5 Audie Cole's arms. Chad Greenway picked off Bridgewater near the endzone in the team's previous night practice.
Bridgewater completed 14-of-22 passes on Monday night, including two spikes and two interceptions in team drills for what is the third-to-last practice of training camp.
"[Bridgewater] understands he's going to make mistakes, but he doesn't hang his head down," receiver Greg Jennings said. "He brings his head up, asks questions and tries to move on."
Both Bridgewater and projected starter Matt Cassel were shaky on the night as Cassel airmailed a couple throws in individual drills and team drills. Bridgewater had two would-be interceptions dropped, one by cornerback Derek Cox and another by defensive end Scott Crichton.
• Blair Walsh connected on 8-of-8 field goal attempts ranging from 32 to 48 yards.
• One of Bridgewater's interceptions bounced off the hands of rookie Jerick McKinnon and into Shaun Prater's arms.
• Second-year guard Jeff Baca worked at center again in both under center and shotgun formations.
• Captain Munnerlyn also intercepted Bridgewater in 7-on-7 passing drills.
• Safety Chris Crocker worked with the first-team defense alongside Harrison Smith.
• Special teams is a major outlet to make the 53-man roster for fringe players. On the top kickoff unit Monday: Kurt Coleman, Adam Thielen, Michael Mauti, Larry Dean, Audie Cole, Jamarca Sanford, Gerald Hodges, Rhett Ellison, Andrew Sendejo and Shaun Prater.
• On the kickoff return unit: Mauti, Jabari Price, Sendejo, Prater, Dean, Jerome Felton, Joe Berger, Ellison, Matt Asiata and Thielen. Cordarrelle Patterson, Jarius Wright and Joe Banyard fielded returns.
• Here's a video with more of Jennings' comments on Bridgewater.
Additional listening: Andrew Krammer and Derek Wetmore discuss Friday's preseason opener, including the revolving door at safety, Teddy Bridgewater's outing and who stuck out on defense?