Ray Edwards has second bout canceled, still plans to fight this year
Get the 1500 ESPN SportsWire delivered to your inbox daily, and keep up with all the news in Twin Cities Sports
Ray Edwards will have to wait at least a little longer to get back in the boxing ring.
His June 24 fight has been canceled after his opponent backed out, according to the Midwest Sports Council.
However, Edwards was unequivocal when asked if he plans to fight again this year, whether the NFL lockout ends or not.
"Yes," Edwards said in a text message.
Edwards, the Minnesota Vikings' free-agent defensive end, was scheduled to fight Larry Butler of Hayward, Wis., at Grand Casino Hinckley, where both heavyweights won their professional boxing debuts on May 20.
MSC owner Justin Seurer said be e-mail a new opponent and date for the fight are being sought, "most likely in later July/early August."
That timeline would conflict with Edwards' day job, if the NFL's labor situation is resolved in time for training camps to begin around the end of July.
The other prominent NFL player moonlighting in the ring during the lockout, Baltimore Ravens safety Tom Zbikowski, announced last month he was calling off his June 4 bout to focus on football and wouldn't fight again in 2011.
Edwards previously has said he would focus on boxing if he's not an unrestricted free agent and the Vikings try to retain his rights with a restricted tender offer.