Report: Percy Harvin threatened walkout after ex-teammate signed deal
Get the 1500 ESPN SportsWire delivered to your inbox daily, and keep up with all the news in Twin Cities Sports
Percy Harvin threatened to walk out on the Minnesota Vikings after finding out college teammate Aaron Hernandez received a contract extension after only two NFL seasons, Yahoo! Sports reported on Thursday night.
This apparently was a separate incident from Harvin's brief trade demand during the Vikings' minicamp in June. Hernandez, who played with Harvin at the University of Florida in 2007 and '08, signed the six-year, $39.7 million deal on Aug. 27.
That means the threat would have come just before the Vikings' preseason finale at Houston. No issues were reported with Harvin at that time, though he had multiple confrontations with coach Leslie Frazier later in the season and went home to Florida after being placed on injured reserve on Dec. 5.
Harvin is entering the final season of his five-year rookie contract, with a scheduled base salary of $2.9 million, though he has made clear as far back as last summer he expects a new deal and reportedly will refuse to report to training camp if he doesn't get it.
The Yahoo! report also said Harvin is seeking a contract closer to Calvin Johnson's eight-year, $132 million contract -- the richest ever for a receiver -- than the five-year contracts signed by Dwayne Bowe and Vincent Jackson that both average a little more than $11 million a season.
NFL sources told 1500ESPN.com last month Harvin is seeking to be one of the NFL's highest-paid receivers and his contract demands, not the compensation the Vikings want in return, is the primary roadblock in the way of any potential trade.