Top prospect Oswaldo Arcia 'ready to play' after joining Twins
MINNEAPOLIS -- The only thing bigger than Oswaldo Arcia's bat was his smile as he addressed the media outside the Twins clubhouse prior to Monday's game against the Los Angeles Angels.
In the lineup playing left field and batting seventh for the Twins, Arcia showed obvious excitement while speaking both directly to reporters and through translator Bobby Cuellar.
• On his shoulder and oblique health: "I'm fine now, everything is good. I'm ready to play!"
• On how he was told he was being promoted: "We had just finished losing both ends of a doubleheader (Saturday), and after a team meeting talking about the games, Rochester manager Gene Glynn told me that by the way, I was headed to the big leagues tomorrow. I was surprised and didn't expect it this soon, but was excited."
• On what he's said to Ron Gardenhire: "I told him I was ready to play wherever! Left field, center, right. I played all of these all the time in Venezuela."
• Arcia on his dreams of playing in the big leagues: "Last year I had a pretty good year, so I was hoping to come into spring training this year and prove that I would be capable of helping the big league team. Unfortunately, I hurt my oblique in the spring, but I didn't let that stop me from working hard to be ready to go and help the team when he got the chance."
• Cuellar on how excited Arcia is to be with the Twins: "You know, the words won't come out as well unless he says it in Spanish, but you can see his face. He's very excited to be here."
• Arcia on the biggest adjustment from Double-A to Triple-A: "Basically, I'm doing the same thing as in Double-A. I prepare myself as best I can every day to be ready to play, and have done that since day one. I haven't really changed anything. Hopefully, I can do the same here."
• On if he's here for the long term: "I really don't know. Nobody has really told me."
• Cuellar, on the same question: "He doesn't know, but as you know in this game, you're here for today, and he's going to do the best he can as he has told me."
• Arcia on the number 31: "I just like the number. (laughs) No particular reason."