Training camp Day 7 quick hits: Vikings break out two-minute drill
Get the 1500 ESPN SportsWire delivered to your inbox daily, and keep up with all the news in Twin Cities Sports
Notes and observations from Day 7 of Vikings training camp
• The Minnesota Vikings began practicing their two-minute drill on Friday, running one series each with the first three quarterbacks.
Backup quarterback Matt Cassel found the most success in the drill, securing a couple of first downs against the second-team defense before stalling off a holding penalty by reserve center Joe Berger. Starter Christian Ponder failed to move the chains once, prevented by a hyped first-team defense that is still farther along than the offense at this point in training camp.
Third-string quarterback McLeod Bethel Thompson had one first down off of a defensive pass interference penalty and had multiple overthrows in the exercise.
Frazier said before the afternoon practice that the two-minute drill will be an emphasis moving forward in training camp: "We sometimes shoot ourselves in the foot with some things that we didn't execute as well as we could have. That was more it than any other thing. Our execution at times wasn't as good as it needed to be and that is one of the things that we are emphasizing in this camp. We have got to execute what we are trying to get done better in game situations."
• Ponder had more room to breathe in 7-on-7 passing drills, where he completed all six of his passes, including targets to receiver Greg Jennings, Kyle Rudolph and a check down to Adrian Peterson. Ponder carried the roll into team drills, completing a total of eight passes in a row between the two exercises before overthrowing receiver Jerome Simpson on a go route.
• Receiver LaMark Brown had a rough day, dropping multiple passes, including one of Ponder's two incompletions during team drills.
• Frazier said receiver Chris Summers would sit out the afternoon practice, but Summers was a full participant and had his left hamstring wrapped underneath his pants. Summers said he was "doing good" after practice, but was hobbled by running with the injury.
• Secondary members Xavier Rhodes (hamstring) and Mistral Raymond (unknown) sat out Friday's practice.
• Linebacker Desmond Bishop visited the medical tent briefly toward the end of practice and returned to watch team drills from the sidelines. He did not participate afterwards.
• Veteran guard Seth Olsen took some snaps in place of center Joe Berger with the second-team offense.
• The Vikings will host their annual scrimmage in front of fans Saturday night from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Here's a look at the 90-man depth chart, which is always changing, so far in the first week of camp:
(R) = rookie
FB: Jerome Felton / Rhett Ellison / Zach Line (R)
WR: Greg Jennings / Jerome Simpson / Jarius Wright / Cordarrelle Patterson (R) / Stephen Burton / LaMark Brown / Joe Webb (a wash of Chris Summers, Rodney Smith (R), Adam Thielen (R), Erik Highsmith (R) and Greg Childs, who is still on the PUP list).
TE: Kyle Rudolph / John Carlson / Chase Ford / Colin Anderson (R)
OT: Matt Kalil / Phil Loadholt / Kevin Murphy / Brandon Keith / Troy Kropog / DeMarcus Love
OG: Charlie Johnson / Brandon Fusco / Seth Olsen / Jeff Baca (R) / Travis Bond (R) / Tyler Holmes
C: John Sullivan / Joe Berger / Camden Wentz (R)
LS: Cullen Loeffler / Colin Anderson (R)
DE: Jared Allen / Brian Robison / Everson Griffen (also one-technique in nickel formation) / Lawrence Jackson / D'Aundre Reed / George Johnson (2nd team nickel one-tech) / Marquis Jackson (R) / Collins Ukwu (R)
DT (base 3-tech): Kevin Williams / Christian Ballard / Sharrif Floyd (R)
DT (base 1-tech): Letroy Guion / Fred Evans / Chase Baker / Everett Dawkins (R) and Anthony McCloud (R)
OLB: Chad Greenway / Marvin Mitchell / Desmond Bishop / Larry Dean / Tyrone McKenzie / Gerald Hodges (R) and Michael Mauti (R)
MLB: Erin Henderson / Audie Cole / Desmond Bishop / Michael Mauti (R)
CB: Chris Cook / Josh Robinson / Xavier Rhodes (R) / A.J. Jefferson / Jacob Lacey / Bobby Felder / Marcus Sherels / Roderick Williams (R) / Greg McCoy / Brandon Burton
Nickel CB: Josh Robinson / Jacob Lacey / Marcus Sherels
S: Harrison Smith / Jamarca Sanford / Mistral Raymond / Robert Blanton / Andrew Sendejo / Darius Eubanks (R) / Brandan Bishop (R)
The first preseason game comes against the Houston Texans on Aug. 9 and this depth chart effort was done merely to provide a snapshot of where they sit right now. The Vikings must cut their 90-man roster down to 75 players on Aug. 27.