Twins Daily: Six days after facing Verlander, Pavano now gets Weaver
Get the 1500 ESPN SportsWire delivered to your inbox daily, and keep up with all the news in Twin Cities Sports
In his last start, Minnesota Twins right-hander Carl Pavano (6-11, 4.62) squared off against AL Cy Young Award pace-setter Justin Verlander, and on Friday night (9:05 p.m., 1500 ESPN) Pavano will face perhaps the league's second-best pitcher, Los Angeles Angels' right-hander Jered Weaver (15-7, 2.28).
Update: It was announced Friday morning that Weaver's start has now been pushed back due to the death of his grandfather.
Against Verlander and the Tigers, Pavano allowed six runs (five earned) on nine hits and a walk in 6 2/3 innings, and even though the Twins touched up Verlander for four earned runs, they still lost 6-4.
Weaver, who recently signed a five-year, $85 million contract extension, is coming off one of his worst starts of the season -- seven earned runs on eight hits and four walks in six innings against the Texas Rangers. Three starts prior to that, Weaver gave up eight earned runs on eight hits and two walks in 4 2/3 innings to the Toronto Blue Jays.
But Weaver has allowed one earned run or fewer in 17 of his 28 starts this season, including a complete-game shutout of the Twins on May 28.
6: Complete games for Weaver this season.
6: Complete games for the entire Twins' starting staff.
0: The number of pitchers who have allowed more hits than Pavano (214) this season.
1: The number of pitchers who have struck out fewer batters per nine innings than Pavano (3.98) -- Brad Penny (3.74).
1: September call-ups for the Twins, who summoned Jim Hoey from Triple-A Rochester. It's still possible Joe Benson and/or Chris Parmelee could be called up from Double-A New Britain before the end of the month.
• RHP Kyle Gibson will undergo Tommy John surgery on Sept. 7, which will likely sideline him until the 2013 season.
• 1B Justin Morneau remains day-to-day with mild concussion symptoms.
• SS Tsuyoshi Nishioka is day-to-day with general soreness.
The Twins wrap up their final west coast road trip this weekend with a three-game series against the Angels.
• Saturday: @ LA Angels, 8:05 p.m. LHP Brian Duensing (9-13, 5.09) vs. RHP Joel Pineiro (5-6, 5.33)
• Sunday: @ LA Angels, 2:35 p.m. RHP Kevin Slowey (0-3, 5.91) vs. RHP Jerome Williams (2-0, 4.96)
• Monday: vs. White Sox, 12:10 p.m. RHP Anthony Swarzak (3-5, 4.14) vs. RHP Zach Stewart (1-3, 5.48)
• Monday: vs. White Sox, 6:10 p.m. LHP Scott Diamond (1-2, 4.82) vs. RHP Jake Peavy (6-7, 5.21)