Twins Daily: Game washed out; Tsuyoshi Nishioka to return Wednesday?
Get the 1500 ESPN SportsWire delivered to your inbox daily, and keep up with all the news in Twin Cities Sports
MINNEAPOLIS -- Tuesday night's game between the Minnesota Twins and Chicago White Sox was postponed due to rain.
A make-up date was not announced, but the game will not be made up during this series.
With first baseman Justin Morneau landing on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after experiencing more wrist soreness, the Twins could wind up activating infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka, who has completed his Triple-A rehab assignment with Rochester.
Nishioka, out since April 7 with a broken fibula, played nine innings at shortstop in Toledo on Tuesday night, going 0-for-4 with a walk at the plate. The plan is for Nishioka to fly back to Minneapolis on Wednesday, and team doctors will do a final evaluation before the Twins make a roster move.
"What we want to do is let the doctors and trainers see him," Smith said. "They haven't seen him in a long time. He's been down there in Fort Myers for a long time, so we want to let them see him before we do anything further."
In three games with Toledo, Nishioka went 4-for-12 with a double and two walks. He also went 4-for-12 with a double and two walks for Single-A Fort Myers last week.
3: Games postponed due to rain for the Twins this season.
9: Twins players currently on the disabled list.
• Morneau was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after his ailing wrist still felt sore when taking swings on Tuesday. He received a cortisone shot Sunday, but the wrist didn't react how he'd hoped, and doctors have determined the only remedy is rest. Morneau's wrist will be immobilized for 10 days, and Smith said the team hopes his DL stint is a "short-term" thing.
• C Joe Mauer took five at-bats in a simulated game in Fort Myers on Tuesday, and he will face right-hander Joe Nathan in a live batting practice session on Wednesday. Beyond that, the Twins have not yet committed to a firm game plan, other than general manager Bill Smith saying the team will "re-evaluate" Mauer after he faces Nathan.
• LHP Glen Perkins (oblique) pitched two scoreless for Rochester on Tuesday night, giving up three hits while striking out one.
• Nathan (elbow tenderness) will face Mauer and other hitters on Wednesday at extended spring training.
• DH Jim Thome (back, quad) took batting practice on the field in Fort Myers on Tuesday.
• RHP Kevin Slowey (abdominal strain) threw a five-minute bullpen session in Fort Myers on Tuesday.
• OF Jason Kubel (sprained foot) took batting practice at Target Field on Tuesday afternoon, but he "is still not 100%" when running yet, per McWane.
• OF Denard Span (concussion, whiplash) "has had two pretty good days, and made good steps (Tuesday)," McWane said. "We're just keeping him moving forward." Span is eligible to return from the DL on Thursday, "but he won't be ready to come off."
"I'm not standing on that sacred spot."
-- General manager Smith, jokingly, prior to speaking with a group of reporters who were standing in front of Joe Mauer's locker stall.
• Thursday: vs. Chicago White Sox, 7:10 p.m. RHP Nick Blackburn (5-4, 3.47) vs. LHP Mark Buehrle (6-4, 3.95).
• Friday: vs. San Diego, 7:10 p.m. LHP Brian Duensing (3-6, 4.98) vs. LHP Clayton Richard (2-8, 4.06).
• Saturday: vs. San Diego, 6:10 p.m. RHP Scott Baker (4-4, 3.55) vs. RHP Tim Stauffer (2-4, 3.28).