Wilson Ramos on returning to Rochester: 'I feel bad right now'
Get the 1500 ESPN SportsWire delivered to your inbox daily, and keep up with all the news in Twin Cities Sports
MINNEAPOLIS -- Wilson Ramos' disappointment was obvious shortly after the Minnesota Twins optioned him back to Class-AAA Rochester this afternoon.
But the highly regarded catching prospect vowed not to let his latest demotion affect his play.
"I feel bad right now," Ramos said. "But I will go there and I will play hard."
The move made room on the 25-man roster for reliever Jose Mijares, who had been on the disabled list since April 16 with a strained left elbow.
Ramos had seven hits in his first nine major-league at-bats, beginning with his debut May 2 at Cleveland. But he then went 1-for-18, leaving him with a batting average of .296 with three doubles and a .321 on-base percentage in seven appearances.
"It's always hard sending this young man down," manager Ron Gardenhire said of Ramos, who also was among the final cuts at the end of spring training.
"But he's a big-league baseball player, got a chance to be one for a long time. He needs to play, not sit and watch Joe Mauer play. So, we're going to let him go down and get some swings and keep going until later on in the summer, and then we'll see where we're at."
Said Ramos, "I don't know what's going to happen. I waited for my chance. So, I will play hard in AAA and see what happens."